Monday, January 4, 2016

Wedge Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

OK, this recipe is PERFECT.  It needs no altering at all except I do add more blue cheese than called for (double).  It doesn't need the extra cheese, I just really like it with more.  I also double this recipe every time I make it.  I could just eat the blue cheese dressing by itself with a spoon.  It is sooooo good.  I highly recommend this recipe from Aaron McCargo Jr. from Food Network.  For the cheese, I use Castello Extra Creamy Danish Blue which can be found in most grocery stores and is relatively cheap.  I buy it when on sale.  Make sure you don't omit the chives for the dressing - they really add something special, in my opinion...

  • 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, cored
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Dash hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chives
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, I used a press
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
  • 1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • 2 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled


I used a mason jar for everything.  I stirred it up well before adding the cheese and chives.  I covered and left it in the fridge for a couple of hours so the flavors could bloom together. 


I garnished with Applewood Bacon, Grape Tomatoes, Avocado and Freshly Cracked Pepper.  I don't think it needs any extra salt.

1 comment:

  1. One of my all time favorite summer salads and the dressing is out of this world. Perfect recipe and crave it often!

    ReplyDelete