Monday, January 15, 2018

Poached Cod with Tomato & Grits

I've made a version of this before, but it wasn't great.  I decided to serve it up with some organic heirloom Pencil Cob grits by Anson Mills.


I soaked these overnight.  I had a new balloon whisk that I wanted to try out too.  I have never had success with keeping a whisk that didn't break.  I found one by "Oxo" and it was rated very high.  These grits would be perfect to test it with since they take a good half hour of serious whisking.
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 1 can (28 oz) D.O.P San Marzano tomatoes, crushed with hands
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon organic low sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken base
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 skinless wild Pacific cod fillets
  • Large handful of haricot vert
  • Fresh basil leaves, to taste
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and crushed pepper and cook, until onions are transparent and softened.


Add tomatoes, wine, bay leaves, basil, and green beans.


Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes until slightly reduced.


Lower heat slightly and add  cod.  Season with S&P.   Cover and simmer until cod is cooked through.


I served mine half with grits and half with the broth/fish.  I garnished with torn basil.


The grits were different than other Anson Mills ones I've made to date.  These were more "corny".  They were toothsome too.  The cod was flaky and tender and poached nicely.  The broth had a nice spice and was very tasty.  I couldn't stop slurping that up.  My son did say that he prefers my "cheesy" grits but it was a good meal.  I often don't like to cook complex things on Mondays, but this turned out okay.  And the whisk worked like a hot damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment