Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas

We went to the movies after work today, so when we got home, I was looking for something easy to make.  The night before I looked around at the ingredients I had in the fridge/cupboard and decided I could do enchiladas.  I made the filling and I used:

  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced with stems and seeds
  • 1 orange bell pepper, cleaned and diced
  • 1/2 large red onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
I sauteed this all together starting with the veggies first.


At the end, I added in a half cup of Trader Joe's Hatch Valley Salsa and then set this aside to cool.


Then into the fridge it went, overnight.

When we got home I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I got my absent sous chef son to grate the cheese.  I used half Monterey Jack and 1/2 low fat Kraft Cracker Barrel Cheddar, so about 2 cups total.  I made the sauce which was just simply the three ingredients below, all mixed together:
  • 1 jar of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde
  • 1 cup of 0% fat sour cream
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped finely
I used corn tortillas.  I had a package of 8 in the freezer that I took out.


I softened them up by damp paper towels on a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds.


I used a 9" x 9" cake pan sprayed with canola cooking spray.  I put a bit of the sauce on the bottom.  I sprinkled a little cheese in each tortilla, then stuffed the filling between seven evenly (dish was too small for all 8).


I rolled them up and  placed them seam side down in the pan. I covered with the remaining sauce and cheese.



I baked for 50 minutes on a foil lined baking sheet.


I let it rest for another 10.  I garnished with some sliced green onion and diced avocado and then I served.


This was quite tasty though salty from the jarred ingredients and cheese.  The spiciness helped cut the sodium hit a little.  It was very filling and quite rich.  It did the trick and saved ordering in on this night when I wouldn't have cooked otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment