Monday, November 14, 2016

Misua

My Filipino co-worker brought me in a taste of this and I thought it was fantastic.  Honestly, it's not much to look at but it was sure tasty.  I had to make it!  She even brought me a pack of the noodles, just so I would know what I was looking for.  She also told me of an Asian grocery store that we both shop at that had them, so I would stock up the next time I was there.  Like I said, she gave me my first pack and it's under $2.


It's a very simple dish, but then that is what I like best - simple dishes with lots of flavor.  She said this was comfort food to her when she was little as she didn't like "Filipino" food, but this was like spaghetti and meatballs to her (I sure didn't think of that when I tasted it, though).  Below is her recipe which I cut and pasted.  She called  this:  "Misua - my way":

INGREDIENTS:
1 & 1/2 lbs ground pork
4 cloves garlic, crushed minced
2 Medium onions, chopped – separate (1 for the meat and 1 to sauté)
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
½ tbsp. to 1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
1 to 2 tbsp fish sauce
1 Tetra Pack of  chicken broth
50 grams misua
green onion / spring onion, sliced or chopped (optional)
cooking oil for frying

HOW TO PREPARE:
Combine pork,  1 of the onions, sesame seed oil, salt, pepper and eggs. Let marinade for 1hr
Shape into 2" balls
Sauté garlic and 1 onion and add the balls, fry until brown or cooked (I don’t always make mine brown and I leave the meatballs for a bit an then turn them over after a few minutes). When the balls are cooked, I remove excess oil from the pan.
Add the chicken broth, fish sauce and misua.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the green onions.
Serve hot, and enjoy!

I got the meat (I used lean ground pork) mixed up with her list of ingredients and put it back in the fridge for a couple of hours.  I read her recipe wrong and used 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (I confused it with the fish sauce).  However,  I probably had about 2 lbs of meat anyway, so it probably balanced out.


I chopped the next onion and minced the garlic and put it into a large non-stick pan with some avocado oil.


I sauteed those until soft and then made the meatballs.  I used the big scoop end of a melon baller and used a big scoop.  Bigger meatballs meant less rolling.  I rinsed it with cold water and my hands too between rolling balls.  If I wasn't so lazy today, I would have made them smaller but I just wanted it done.  These were 2-bite meatballs.  I would have preferred 1-bite.


I sauteed them over medium low heat until done.  I used a turkey baster to suck up the fat in the pan.  If my co-worker reads this, maybe she can comment how she removes the fat from the pan, because all the sauteed onions are in there so it wasn't easy to do.  I added in the remaining ingredients.  She did tell me that the misua was a broth hogger and I might need to add more broth if I liked it thinner.  I used about a quarter pack of the noodles and one box of Kirkland organic no salt chicken broth.


I use "Red Boat" fish sauce but I remember reading from a chef that whatever fish sauce you use, you should choose one that is 100% anchovies and not with a lot of additives and crap.  Red Boat is that and I really like it.  I've even used it in place of anchovies in Caesar salad dressing that I've made.


I brought everything to a boil and simmered for 5 minutes.  I seasoned with more freshly cracked pepper.


I put a bunch of green onions in with everything and not at the end.  Just didn't read her recipe properly again.  I tasted when it came to a boil and it was delicious.  I couldn't remember what her misua tasted like now, but this was very pleasing, so I'll assume it was similar.  I could really taste the sesame oil in the meatballs so it was borderline too much.  For me this was the right amount of noodles so there was still lots of broth but hers definitely had more noodles than I did.  And that would have been great, except, I don't need the carbs, especially coming back from vacation!


After dinner, when I went to put the rest of the soup away, the broth had disappeared, so I see what she meant...Another thought is that besides adding the green onions, some cilantro would be nice so I will add that with the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment