Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Sole Rollatini

My dish tonight was inspired by this one.  Sole was on sale at IGA for $1.00 per 100 grams, so I got almost 600 grams.  I made my crumb filling first.  I used:

  • 2/3 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
  • 1/2 cup of Italian parsley, chopped fine
  • Lemon zest (I grated one lemon on a microplane)
  • 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
  • Kirkland organic extra virgin olive oil, couple of swirls
I tossed all the crumb mixture together and set aside.


I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I sprayed a 9" x 13" baking dish with "Pam".  I sliced one lemon up and laid the pieces in the baking dish.  

I dried the sole fillets off with paper towels.  I realized I had made a big mistake by not asking for pieces all the same size.  :(  He gave a mishmash and I wasn't happy about it and I had to slice some to try and make them equal.  My fault though for not asking.


I brushed a thin coating of Dijon mustard on each one and seasoned with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.  I pressed the crumb mixture into each piece and rolled up.


I didn't need to put toothpicks in.  I placed each piece on top of a lemon slice, open side down.  


I heated a fry pan to make the sauce.  I put in about a tablespoon of Becel margarine and olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic.  I fried this until the garlic was lightly browned.  Then I added the juice of one lemon and about a half cup of white wine.  I tossed in a couple tablespoons of capers and some more fresh parsley.  I poured this around the fish,  I brushed the rest of the Dijon over the top of the fish and then used the remaining crumb mixture and a little more parsley to top the fish rolls.  

I put this into the oven for 25 minutes.  I served this with some pan fried zucchini sticks for myself.  My son also got some plain basmati rice (with the baking dish sauce) with his.


The fish was good, though I used too much Herbes de Provence, in fact - I shouldn't have used them at all - wrong seasoning for this.  I used a heaping teaspoon, I'd maybe just use a light dusting of oregano next time.   The sauce was also too tart and slightly bitter.  I also would toast the panko first before mixing the mixture with it. Come to think of it - this stood room for lots of improvement...at least it wasn't carb heavy.  The zucchini was great though.  I sauteed it with olive oil and S&P until brown and tender, then sprinkled grated Parmesan and mixed it in until melted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment