Thursday, May 25, 2017

German Potato Salad

I have never made this before and I'm not even sure if I've tasted it either.  I'm sure I probably have at some point in my life, but I can't recall.  Anyway, since I saw it pop up somewhere on social media, I've been obsessing over it.  Today was the day I decided to make it.  I looked at a lot of different supposedly "authentic" recipes and in the end, I liked this one best.  I pretty much followed the recipe exactly.  I used chives and parsley because my son detests dill.  If it were just for me, I would have used dill.  I even had German mustard at home!



I used apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup.


I used my leftover French Onion soup for the broth which I strained.


I used avocado oil in place of the brown butter though that sounded lovely.  Anyway, because the potatoes had to sit so long, I came in the door from work and immediately cooked them.  I used these, which were also 1.5 lbs.


I drained the taters and then put them on a tea towel to see how easy they would be to peel.


Personally, I like the skin so if it didn't come off easily, I was going to leave it on.  After peeling two, I thought "screw that" and I left the skin on.  I let them sit for 2 hours before I cut them up.  I cut each one into thirds.


I prepared all my mise en place next.  I fried the diced bacon and onion until browned.


This took a bit of time to do, maybe 20 minutes or so?


I added the vinegar, the stock and mustard and stirred until well combined.


When not too hot, I mixed it into the potatoes with some fresh cracked pepper.  I swirled in some avocado oil, probably a couple of tablespoons and then the parsley and chives.  I tasted, it was salty enough.  I couldn't wait to serve myself a little dish of this.  I used a side plate.


OH MY!  Wow, that was delectable.  This was one of the best potato salads I have eaten.  Who needs mayo?  Not me...

No comments:

Post a Comment