Saturday, November 9, 2019

Crock-Pot: Mississippi Pot Roast by Robin Chapman

I saw this woman on Food t.v.  Her recipe had over a million saves on "Pinterest" apparently.  This brought her fame.  When I saw it, I had to give it a try though those package sodium counts always make me nauseous.  However, since I find the crock pot mutes flavors, maybe it would be okay?  I got it ready on Friday evening, so I didn't have to fuss to make dinner Saturday as it was going to be a busy day...


  • One 3- to 4-pound boneless beef roast, your choice of cut (I used a 3 lb Triple-A (high-quality - good marbling) blade roast which is chuck)
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter (I used unsalted and cut it into pats)
  • 1 package au jus gravy mix (I used Knorr)
  • 1 package dry ranch dressing mix, (I used Uncle Dan's)
  • Pepperoncini peppers, number to your liking, and a little juice (I used a whole jar, sliced.  She said she did that for her son and my son loves them so I did the same but only 1/4 cup of the juice as it's loaded with salt too)


  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste (I used ZERO kosher salt in this)
Here is what I did.  I mixed the packages together with a whisk inside the crock pot.  I patted my beef dry with paper towels, then seasoned it with pepper.


I rubbed the roast in the seasoning mix.


I added the butter and pepperoncini over the roast.



I drizzled the juice down the side so it hit the bottom.  I covered, and put it in the fridge.  When I woke up, I set my timer to 10 hours on low. I flipped it at 4 hours and had a little taste of the seasoning.



I'm not going to lie, it was damn fine!  I cut the string off too as I didn't mind if it started to fall apart now.  At 6 hours it did start to fall apart.  I decided to add about a half cup of sliced cherry peppers now.  These suckers are HOT.  The big question was what to serve it with???  I decided we'd have it open face sandwich style on jalapeno cheddar bread fresh from the bakery.


At 10 hours, I took 2 large forks and shredded it.  I wondered if it was similar to a Chicago beef sandwich - the pepperoncini/cherry peppers being like the giardiniera?  I knew I was going to soak my bread with the juices first and foremost.  I knew my son would like cheese so I grated some 2 year old cheddar for him.  After my son taste tasted the beef, he asked for 2 slices of bread instead of one, so I foresaw a food coma in his future...(as it turned out, I ended up eating what he left as he really only did eat slightly more than half).




Salty! (not surprised though), vinegary, beefy, buttery, fatty!, slightly spicy and Deeee-licious.  That sums up my review.  And it was melt in your mouth tender.  I'm also glad I added the hot peppers for an added kick.  I can see why it was "pinned" so many times.  The crock pot did not mute these flavors at all.  Thanks to Robin for the recipe!  Now off to find the defibrillator...


No comments:

Post a Comment