Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Instant Pot: Curry Beef Brisket

I had beef brisket in the freezer which I thawed overnight.  I remembered I had made Chinese curry beef in my crock pot and I didn't love it.  I haven't made it since.  I decided to try again in the Instant Pot.  Would this be an easy, delicious weeknight dinner???

I more or less used all the same ingredients as last time...I meant to use 2 bay leaves this time but forgot them.  ☹
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 inch nub of ginger, peeled and diced fine
  • 1 Mayan sweet onion, halved and sliced
  • 1 bunch of carrots, sliced on the bias in 1 inch pieces
  • 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes (1 & 1/2 lbs), cut in 1 inch pieces
  • About 3 lbs beef brisket, cut in 1 inch cubes (most of the fat removed - wow I cut off tons of fat - literally pounds!!!  I was happy to get this out of my small freezer)
  • 2 tablespoons Chu Hou paste (got it at Asian supermarket)
  • 3 tablespoons Madras curry powder (smells soooo good!)
  • 2 cups organic, low sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon of organic raw sugar
  • 160 ml can organic "extra-rich" coconut cream
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with equal amount of cold water
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Cilantro, chopped, for garnish

I did not brown or saute anything, though I really wanted to.  I put the beef (which I seasoned with pepper), ginger, garlic, and onion into the pot and mixed.


Then the broth, chu hou sauce and curry.  I stirred again till well combined.


The potatoes and carrots went on top.


I sealed the lid and closed vent knob.  I set the pot to high for 35 minutes, then natural released for 20 minutes.  I would have let it go all the way except I started dinner real late tonight and it seemed like it took forever to come to pressure (trimming the beef and mise en place took a fair amount of time).  I opened the vent knob and released the rest of it. 


I hit saute button until simmering.  I added the coconut milk. sugar and cornstarch slurry.  I stirred until thickened.  I checked for seasoning and served.  We love cilantro so I garnished with it.  My son got his over basmati rice, below.  I just ate the stew as is (2 bowls, I had to have more...).


I loved this.  I thought the beef was sooo melt in your mouth tender and the gravy and spicing divine.  I bet it improves more tomorrow, if possible - just sayin'.  Way, way, WAY better than in the crockpot!  Instant Pot for the WIN!!!


Leftovers for Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment