Sunday, October 6, 2019

Blueberry Buckle

Courtesy of Alton Brown, I made this for my son.  It's supposed to be one of Alton's best recipes.  I should have made this when blueberries were abundant here and fresh from the farms.  I found his measurements confusing and when googling it to convert to cups, I got different results, however, this was my best guess at it...

FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 3 1/2 ounces sugar (1/2 cup)
  • 1 1/2 ounces cake flour (1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cubed and chilled)
FOR THE CAKE:
  • 9 ounces cake flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (left at room temperature for 30 minutes (or until instant-read thermometer stuck into the middle reads about 60 degrees F))
  • 5 1/4 ounces sugar (3/4 cups)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup whole milk (I used 1/2 & 1/2)
  • 15 ounces fresh blueberries (about 4 & 1/4 cups.  I couldn't find fresh so I used frozen, thawed for 30 minutes)

MAKE THE TOPPING:

Combine the sugar, flour and nutmeg in a small bowl then work in the butter, using a fork to combine. Keep “forking” until the mixture has a crumb-like texture. Set aside. (Note: If you have a pastry cutter, now’s the time to use it.  I didn't bother with the forks and went straight to this.)  The nutmeg smells sooooo heavenly when fresh grated!


MAKE THE CAKE:

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square GLASS baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger together in a medium bowl and set aside.

Beat together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Reduce the speed a bit and thoroughly incorporate the egg. Reduce the speed to low (or “stir” on a Kitchenaid) and add one-third of the flour mixture. Once incorporated, add one-third of the milk then repeat alternating until all ingredients are combined.


Gently stir in the blueberries and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle on the topping mixture. (Because my berries were frozen, they bled.  🙁)



Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes, or until golden. (Mine took an hour and 15 minutes until browned!).  Cool for 30 minutes before serving.


I had a little taste, found it very sweet.  My son really enjoyed it, said it was like blueberry cake.  Said he'd still prefer cobbler though...



No comments:

Post a Comment