Saturday, October 19, 2019

Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey Casserole

Ugh - this was the LAST of the turkey.  I was getting rid of it, and that was that!  This is my own creation.  I wanted mushrooms.  Mmmm, mushrooms sounded great to me!  More turkey, not so much, haha.

  • 4 cups?  leftover turkey, diced
  • 340 grams organic lentil spaghetti (love this stuff, and relatively guilt-free as far as I'm concerned.  Can buy at Costco in Canada, it's made by "Pedon")
  • 12 oz white mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
  • 1 Mayan sweet onion, diced and sauteed
  • 1 small stick of celery with leaves, diced (I only had one in the fridge)
  • 3 cups 2% milk
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons for mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup unbleached flour
  • 1 round of garlic/herb Boursin cheese (150 grams)
  • 2 cups Asiago cheese, grated
  • 150 grams Kettle Salt & Pepper chips, crushed in Ziploc with mallet, for topping
  • 4 stems of fresh savory, leaves stripped off 
  • Handful of Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I coated a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.  I chopped the turkey into bite size pieces and picked off any fat/gristle/small bones/skin.


I sauteed the mushrooms in a non-stick skillet.  I added 1/3 cup of water over high heat and when the mushrooms collapsed, I added the butter, S&P and cooked until golden brown.


I sauteed the onion and celery next until slightly browned as well.


I meant to put a jalapeno pepper in with them, but forgot (sigh), so another time...I moved them to the bowl I had put the mushrooms in.  I threw in the savory.


I chopped the parsley and added it as well.  I grated the cheese.


I made the white sauce by cooking the butter and flour together until a paste formed and cooked it a few minutes so the flour taste would cook out.  I slowly added the milk and stirred over medium heat until thickened.


I whisked in the Boursin cheese until everything was well combined and seasoned with S&P.



Meanwhile, I had the pasta cooking to package directions in salted water.


When it was done, I drained it, rinsed it (important with legume pasta) and put it back in the pot.  I put the sauce, mushrooms, onion, celery, turkey, savory and parsley in.  I mixed well and poured in to the dish.


I sprinkled the top with cheese.


And then the chips.


I covered with foil for the first 30 minutes.  I removed the foil and let it go for 15 more until the top looked golden, it was bubbling and cheese was melty nice.


I let rest for 15 minutes.  I cut into portions and served.


It's the first time I've ever used potato chips as a topping and all I can say is it won't be the last - it was my favorite part of the whole meal!  Casserole itself was good, though we did use some hot sauce to zip it up a little.  Son asked for Sriracha and I used Bajan which I bought while in Barbados.  Nothing to complain about, other than the turkey taste, lol.  Honestly, I would have loved this casserole more with 3X the mushrooms and no turkey at all.  Well - at least I used it up, I don't like wasting food at all.  Son loved it, it was gone in seconds and he assured me he'll eat the leftovers.  Whew....


No comments:

Post a Comment