Thursday, January 28, 2016

Slow Cooker Curry Beef Brisket

I told my friend I was going to make crock pot BBQ brisket and he mentioned that he loves curry beef brisket, so I decided I'd give that a try instead.  I looked for recipes but didn't find many, so I just sort of "ad-libbed it" after looking at the few I could find...  I went to T&T Supermarket at lunch time for curry ingredients.  I decided to use Yeo's Singapore Curry Gravy in a can (400 grams).  I looked at soooo many different curries - Japanese, Thai, Indian, etc., it was mind boggling.  I used that and:

  • 2 tablespoons of Madras Curry Powder
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic & ginger
  • 1 & 1/2 tablespoons Chou Hou sauce.
I simmered these 4 ingredients in a sauce pan and it was HOT as in spicy!  I knew the crock pot would more than likely dull and kill the flavor as it always seems to do so I really wasn't worried actually.

I'm sure this all together was the most "unauthentic" rendition of Curry Beef Brisket, ever.  However, it was what it was and that's what I did...I also bought a half size tin (186 ml) of coconut milk to add in at the end if needed.

The first steps were just prep and then put the crock pot in the fridge until morning.  I chopped the veggies first, of course.  The nice thing is that everything was a very large dice and not too time consuming or difficult.  I used a large onion , a green pepper, carrots...

I ran around and showed many people in my office these babies!  I don't think any of us have ever seen carrots this size before.  :)  I ended up only using one of these.

and white baby potatoes (about a pound).  All that went into the crock pot first and I mixed in just under half the "sauce" and stirred until coated.  


Then I chopped my brisket into about 1" cubes.


I put it in another bowl and mixed the rest of the sauce in and stirred until coated, then I poured it on top of the vegetables, put the lid on and stuck it in the fridge.


I left the house at about 8:00am and set the timer for 10 hours on low.  It was totally unknown what I would come home to.  I crossed my fingers...

When I got home, it was tasting good, still spicy but not HOT any longer.  I did add the coconut milk and a bit of cornstarch mixed with water to thicken the sauce up a little.  Final verdict?  It was acceptable.  The beef was melt in your mouth tender.  We both enjoyed it.  I served it over some Basmati rice, though it could have been served alone like a stew.  Decent for a first try.





No comments:

Post a Comment