Thursday, January 7, 2016

Irish Stew

Once upon a time, about 5 years ago, I had the most awesome recipe for Irish Stew.  Alas, I never bookmarked it and have never found it again.  Believe me, I've searched and searched for it.  The only two things I can remember was that it had bacon and chocolate stout beer in it.  Sigh.  Anyway, I wanted to make this in my new dutch oven, so I decided to make "my own version" of the recipe I longed for... I don't need a recipe for stew, I've made enough of them to just wing it.  I like to make lots when I go through a bit of hard work making a meal, and I like to share.  I used:

  • 3 lbs of Organic Beef Blade Steak cubed into pieces, seasoned and floured ( I shook it in a plastic bag with flour, 3/4 lbs at a time)
  • 1 Large Onion
  • 2 Carrots sliced
  • 2 Celery stalks sliced
  • 4 Cloves of Garlic
  • 6 slices of Thick Cut Bacon
  • Organic Red Potatoes, skin on, cut into bite size pieces (I used about 4 medium)
  • 1 lb Mushrooms sliced (I used half White & half Cremini)
  • 500 ML Young's Double Chocolate Stout Beer 
  • 3 cups Kitchen Basics Beef Broth
  • 1 can (12 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
  • Fresh Thyme (I used a few stalks)
  • Fresh Rosemary (I used one stalk)
  • Fresh chopped Parsley (Garnish)
  • Kosher Salt
  • Fresh Cracked Pepper
First I chopped all the veggies & garlic except the potatoes. I tied the herbs with kitchen twine into a bundle.  


Then I sliced the bacon into about 1 inch pieces.  I preheated the oven to 325 °F.  Next I went about slicing the beef into 1 inch squares, seasoning it, and then flouring it (about 1/3 cup of flour seasoned with S&P).  I had 3 packs of the steak below.


Then I browned it in batches (medium heat).  I started with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  I had to throw about a teaspoon more of oil in between each batch.  It took me 4 batches to finish and I put it on a plate.



When the beef was finished, I threw the bacon into into the pot (below).  I cooked this until almost crisp.  I left the bacon a bit un-rendered so that it wouldn't burn when I threw in the vegetables after.  I sauteed the vegetables for about 5 minutes.



I chopped the potatoes while the veggies & garlic cooked down.  Then I added in the beer and scraped the bottom with a wooden spoon.  I added the crushed tomatoes and beef stock and then the potatoes.  I seasoned with S & P again (not much salt - 1 crack of the salt grinder).  I mixed it all up and put the herbs in.  I brought this to a boil, put the lid on and then put it in the oven and set the timer for 2 & 1/2 hours.


After two hours, I took it out and checked the taste, and thickness of the gravy.  It needed S & P and I wanted it thicker.  I made a "slurry" which was a heaping tablespoon of flour in a small jar with ice cold water 2/3 full.  I shook it up till smooth and stirred it in. The pot went back in the oven, lid on,  for another half hour.  It smelled so good in the house, our stomachs were rumbling with hunger - well, it was almost 8pm too.

After a half hour, when I opened the lid, the heavenly nirvana was lightly simmering and the gravy was a good consistency so I fished the herb bundle out and served it.  This was truly amazing and as good as the recipe I lost and dreamed of.  You can't really go wrong with bacon, beef and beer, methinks.  I have to give the credit to the dutch oven.  This buy was a dream come true.  Cookware really makes a difference.  Can't wait for leftovers!


No comments:

Post a Comment