Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Szechuan Green Beans with Ground Pork

This recipe is very yummy.  It's really easy too - little work for a great flavour pay off.  I use the green beans from Costco for this.  They are already trimmed and ready to use.  Very convenient.  A 1.5 lb bag is $4.99 and I use the whole bag in this dish.
  • 1/2 lb. ground pork
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons rice wine
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns (szechuan if you have them) freshly ground
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon spicy garlic black bean sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half if desired
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 1/4 cup white sesame seeds, lightly toasted

I started by mixing the pork with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of rice wine and the ground pepper. Marinate at room temperature while assembling the rest of the ingredients.  I then grated the ginger & garlic on top of it.  Next I made the "sauce"; remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, the remaining teaspoon of rice wine, the chicken stock, spicy bean sauce, hoisin, chili garlic sauce, sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch.  I chopped the green onions.  Next up was stir frying the green beans.  It took about 10 minutes to get them blistered and I put them on a plate to the side.


I browned the pork and then added the green onions and continued stir frying for another minute or so.  I used more lean ground pork than usual today, half of this below would be fine.  I just wanted it more meaty tonight.


The beans went back in and the sauce was added.  I stirred this until everything was fully heated and the sauce was glazed, thickened and coated everything.  I plated and topped with toasted sesame seeds.  I served my sons with rice, but I ate just as is.  This dish is in my regular rotation since I found those green beans at Costco.


No comments:

Post a Comment