Monday, January 4, 2016

Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket

I made this a couple of years ago, but this one I remembered and want to make sure I keep it for my files.  I am not really a crockpot fan.  I find most stuff comes out really bland with an odd taste and maybe only have two or three things I will make in it.  This dish was a rare keeper and is one of those three things.

I found this recipe on Chowhound.  Brisket is great stuff though it isn't readily available in our grocery stores.  I can find it at Famous Foods though and of course any butcher shop.  I haven't looked at Costco for it so they may have it.

For the barbecue sauce:
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the brisket:
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
  • 1 (5-pound) beef brisket
Place all of the barbecue sauce ingredients in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine.   I omitted the water.  Rub the brisket with the spices and put in the crock pot for 10 hours on low.  I went to work and came home to a tender, tasty piece of beef.

I boiled/reduced/simmered the sauce down at the end.  This meal was so easy and tasted fantastic!  I don't remember the recipe for the corn pudding that I served with the brisket.  The pictures reminded me that I made it, but it obviously wasn't memorable.




EDIT:  July 10, 2019:

Made this again and it was sooooo delicious!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment