Monday, January 4, 2016

Braised Beef Short Ribs

I LOVE short ribs.  I think it would be my "last meal" given the choice.  I will order it whenever I see it on a menu.  To me, it is a most comforting dish.  I always use Chef John Besh's recipe as my base.  It makes me laugh because the site I found the recipe at has a picture of BBQ pork ribs with it.  They look great too, but wrong ribs.  Scroll down from the picture and you get a great recipe here.  You cannot go wrong with this recipe.

I change the recipe a little each time based on how I'm feeling.   Personally, I love pearl onions in this.  I also swear by using Zinfandel wine though I have used Cab Sav many times in its place.  I've made it with mashed cauliflower too, but usually I splurge on the mashed potatoes.

This time the Short Ribs were done with Pearl Onions, Cremini Mushrooms, Porcini Mushrooms (I bought those dried in a package in the produce section), Sweet Onion, Spanish Onion, Garlic, Celery, Carrots, Cab Sav Red Wine, Veg Stock, Tomato Paste, Rosemary , Thyme and a little Brown Sugar. I served it over Yukon Gold Mashed Taters.


Below is another time I made the short ribs.  These were served with Cream Cheese Mashed Taters and Pan Fried Zucchini Sticks with Romano Cheese.


Below is another rendition, this time served over Roasted Garlic Mashed Taters and garnished with Orange Zest & Parsley.


May 29, 2016:

Sunday Dinner was short ribs with cheesy white stone-ground grits, topped with a parsley, orange zest gremolata.  So good, but the grits were the star of the show.  I wish I could get these grits in Canada but I get them shipped to a PO box in Washington state since I can't.


No comments:

Post a Comment