Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Cauliflower & Sausage Casserole

Cauliflower is so expensive now!  Lucky I found a bag of florets at Costco for $4.99 for 2 lbs.


I had this Chef Michael Symon recipe from "The Chew" bookmarked for quite some time now, so decided it was time to try it out.  I used all the cauliflower and a pack of Johnsonville Brats (1 lb) Sweet Basil Italian sausage (casings removed).  Because they are sweet, I put a good pinch of chili flakes in when frying, about a good heaping teaspoon.


After the sausage was done, I moved it to a bowl and stir fried the cauliflower until it was browned.  Then I poured it into a "Pam" sprayed 13" x 9" baking dish.


I put a bit more olive oil in the fry pan and sauteed the onions and garlic, then I added the San Marzano tomatoes.


These are worth buying.  I bought mine downtown and they were expensive, $5 a tin, but I will stock up at Famous Foods next time I'm there.  I expect them to be cheaper there.  I crushed them with a potato masher and added back in the sausage.



I simmered for about 5 minutes and then added the parsley.  I poured the entire mixture over the cauliflower.  I grated about a cup of Parmesan cheese and mixed with the Panko.


I sprinkled this on top and put it into a 350°F oven for about 45 minutes.  I let it sit for 15 minutes when it came out.



Super, super easy recipe to prepare.  Very painless.  Feels guilt free almost, too.  I will keep this in my dinner rotation for sure.  My tip:  Make sure you use the San Marzano tomatoes.  There are so few items in this dish that you want to use quality ingredients.  AND, it tasted better the next day!



No comments:

Post a Comment