Saturday, January 30, 2016

Roasted Shishito Peppers

I looked at a bunch of different recipes for this quick, easy dish but I decided on this one for the simple fact that I thought I would cause the least smoke in my kitchen.

I LOVE shishito peppers.  Apparently there's a HOT one in about every ten peppers.  I've never experienced a hot one yet.  I've only ever had them at this one restaurant for happy hour and they're mixed in with the roasted Brussels sprouts.  My friend and I always dig through looking for these gems.  I was at a Korean market buying some Gochujang paste and I saw them, and for cheap!!!  So, I had to make them.

I bought 3 packs of these.

I tossed all the peppers into a dutch oven and added enough extra virgin olive oil to coat them and then a really good dousing of fresh cracked kosher salt and cracked pepper.


I preheated the broiler to 500°F and turned a burner onto medium heat.  I let my cast iron pan get hot. I poured the peppers into the cast iron and let them char on the bottom (about 5 minutes), then I moved the cast iron under the broiler to finish.  That took about another 5 minutes.


I mixed a little mayo, fresh squeezed lemon juice and Lingham's hot sauce for my dip.


I plated, added a good squeeze of lemon over them, and then more S&P.  These were fantastic!!!  Sooo good.  My son and I each got a slightly hotter tasting pepper once or twice, but nothing alarming at all.  Will make these again for sure!  The dipping sauce was nice but unnecessary as these are simply perfect without it.  Good salt is the key to these, I think.




2 comments: