Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Ina Garten's Lamb and Chickpea Curry

I was watching Food T.V. and saw Ina Garten make this on her show.  Said this was the only dish she would order at this restaurant because it was sooo good, then finally asked Chef for the recipe, which they shared.  I knew this would be the next special dinner I made.  There is a shitload of ingredients in it, so I went through my pantry to make sure I had everything that I needed and shopped for what wasn't there (only 5 ingredients, including lamb!).  The grocery store I went to only had shoulder chops, so I removed the bone and cubed them myself.  I bought  2 & 1/2 lbs but probably ended up with less than 2 lbs when all the bones and fat/gristle were removed.  It was not fun either.  Next time I want boneless, shoulder roast for this recipe.  What I used (with my minor edits):


  • 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, gristle and fat removed, and 1-inch cubed
  • 1/3 cup Madras curry powder 
  • 1 teaspoon hot Indian chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin 
  • 1 teaspoon roughly minced fresh rosemary leaves 
  • 1 teaspoon roughly minced fresh thyme leaves 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
  • 1 Indian bay leaf
  • 1/3 cup organic, extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced 
  • 1 inch nub chopped fresh ginger, peeled and minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 2 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 (13.5-ounce) can organic coconut milk 
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine 
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste (6 ounces) 
  • 1/3 cup organic, unrefined coconut sugar, lightly packed 
  • 3 tablespoons pure organic Canadian maple syrup 
  • 2 HEAPING tablespoons harissa paste
  • 4 organic carrots from bunch, sliced 
  • 2 large stalks celery, sliced 
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins 
  • 3 cans (14 oz) organic, low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • Steamed coconut basmati rice, for serving 
  • Plain Greek yogurt, for serving 
  • Whole fresh cilantro leaves chopped coarsely, for serving 
  • Garlic naan bread, for serving

Place the cubed lamb in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine the curry powder, paprika, cumin, rosemary, thyme, fennel, 2 tablespoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.


Add the seasonings to the lamb, toss well to coat, and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.


I did mine early in the day so put it covered in the fridge and then brought it to room temperature when ready to prepare.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven, (I used my enamel coated cast iron), over medium heat.


Add the onion and ginger, and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Raise the heat to medium high, add the lamb and all the seasonings in the bowl, and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is evenly browned.


Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, wine, tomato paste, sugar, maple syrup, bay leaf and harissa.


Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.


Add the carrots, celery, raisins, chickpeas, and 2 teaspoons salt.



Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, partially covered, for another 30 minutes.


Serve hot in shallow bowls with the rice, a dollop of yogurt, and a sprinkling of cilantro.


I made my son coconut basmati rice and garlic naan, but for myself I just had half a piece of the naan as it smelled so good (garlicky) warming in the oven.


I was worried about this as I had such high expectations.  No need for worry, it was absolutely fantastically, amazingly delicious!!!  The lamb was melt in your mouth and we wanted more of it -- just heavenly.  We both loved this meal.  If I had to say anything; as I amped up the heat to make it very spicy, it balanced the sweetness.  If you didn't have it that spicy, I think it would have been overly sugary, especially as the raisins also popped syrupy sweet as well.  I also cut the sugar down in this from half cup to a third.  I might go to 1/4 cup next go round.  Other than that, this is now in the rotation for curry dishes.  Mmmmm.  

4 comments:

  1. There is an error I believe in the list of ingredients. Coconut sugar?? Or dark brown sugar?? When Ina made it on TV, she used dark brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris B. I listed the ingredients "I" used when I made this. :)

      Delete
  2. Can you advise how much SALT you used
    I have not made recipe yet but about to make it
    I thought amount ina used excessive????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use kosher salt, I would follow Ina's advice. If you're not, you could cut it in half and then taste to adjust if needed.

      Delete