Monday, May 25, 2020

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I was looking at Costco blog and they were reviewing cinnamon raisin bread.  After looking at the ingredients (I buy it for my son), I was dismayed.  I thought about making it from scratch.  I found a recipe and gave it a try.  I didn't tweak any ingredients as it's baking and thought I should try it as is.  I did add more raisins though.  I was happy for my stand mixer today.  I used:

FOR THE DOUGH:

  • 1 cup 2% milk, warmed in microwave to 110ºF
  • 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar 
  • 2 & 1/4 teaspoons instant rise yeast
  • 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil 
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, more as needed for dusting counter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup Sultana raisins

FOR THE CINNAMON FILLING:

  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Grease loaf pan with cooking spray.  Mix milk, brown sugar, and yeast in a coffee mug.


Let sit for 10 minutes, until foamy which indicates that the yeast is active.


Pour the yeast liquid into the bowl of a stand mixer, and add oil and eggs. Use whisk attachment to combine the wet ingredients and remove whisk.  Add flour and salt. Use a dough hook to mix the wet and dry ingredients until all is incorporated.


Add the raisins, then knead on medium-low speed for 10 minutes.


Remove the dough hook, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.


Flour your counter top as lightly as possible, then spread and stretch the dough into a rectangle.  The short side should be the length of your loaf pan.  Make the cinnamon filling by stirring together brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.


Spread this mixture all over the top of the dough rectangle, then roll the dough up as tightly as you can, the short side doing the rolling.   Place the roll seam-side down into loaf pan.


Cover with plastic wrap to let rise for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375ºF.


Bake bread for 40 minutes or until temperature reads 190ºF to 200ºF with a thermometer. The house smelled incredible while this was happening.  One thing I did not expect happened; the cinnamon butter filing oozed over and into the bottom of the oven.


Let the bread cool completely (about an hour) on a wire rack before slicing.  It didn't turn out as I hoped, but it was still serviceable.  I'm guessing I didn't roll it correctly or the sauce should have been more even when I spread it...


Toast and serve with butter or eat it however you like it.  Son said it was great and was really appreciative.  Said he will have no problem polishing the loaf off.  Not sure I'll do it again, but it was fun to try and not that hard.


EDIT:  July 1, 2020:

So my son asked for cinnamon bread when I said I was going grocery shopping.  I decided to give this a try again.  I googled about the problem I had above and found out that lots of people had the same separation error.  Simply put, this site said to use egg in the swirl mixture.  I followed the recipe there this time and indeed it worked.  Success!



No comments:

Post a Comment