Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Roasted Yam Burritos

Happy Cinco de Mayo 🌮.  I'm trying to stay positive in the pandemic, but honestly I'm not right now.  I'm glum and depressed, not going to lie.  Anyway, I decided to try and make something to celebrate the day, mostly just trying to occupy my mind for a short while giving it something to focus on.  I totally stole the idea from my favorite food blogger, so I thank her for the inspiration.  My burrito is not traditional and has no rice either, it's just what I put together.  I love, love, love pico de gallo so that is always the star of the show for me.  What I used for two:

  • 398 ml can refried beans (too lazy today to make homemade)
  • 1 pound yams/sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes

  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil 
  • 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, homemade 
  • 2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • Large tortillas, 1 per burrito
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced, half for each burrito
  • Pico de gallo, homemade (tomatoes, cilantro, white onion, lime, kosher salt and jalapeno)

  • Salsa roja (medium heat), as desired
  • lime crema (sour cream mixed with garlic, salt and fresh lime juice/zest)
  • lime wedges, for serving

Preheat oven to 400°F.  On a sheet pan line it with parchment paper.  Toss yam cubes with oil and taco seasoning.  Roast until golden brown, about 50 minutes for me.  Toss a couple of times.



Using a soup spoon, spread a thin layer of refried beans onto the tortilla going all the way to the edges.


Spread another thin layer of crema.


Sprinkle with cheese.


Spoon yams into the bottom half of the burrito leaving about an inch on each border.



Top with avocado.  Roll the burrito, tucking in corners as you roll.  End with seam side down on plate.  My son says I make "monster burritos", always have.  Top burrito with more cheddar and salsa roja.


Nuke in microwave until heated through and cheese melted.


Garnish with pico de gallo or whatever you desire.  Serve with lime wedges.


This was seriously one of the best meals we have had since in lock down.  It was so flavorful and filling (I could only eat half and son 3/4).  We did not think about missing meat in it at all.  I was lucky today and hit all the seasoning dead on.  Pico was still the star though nothing else lacked or fell short.  It paid honor to Cinco de Mayo as unauthentic as it may have been.  Stay safe everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment