Friday, April 24, 2020

Half Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

After making a "no yeast" dough (blech), I finally was able to find yeast!!!  So a pizza was in store.  I like whole wheat crust, it's a texture thingy.  My son will eat it but it is not his fave, so I used half whole wheat flour to compromise.  I used my stand mixer with dough hook for the ease of it, but you don't need one to make this dough.

  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

I used my stand mixer for this.  The recipe makes 2 pizzas. Whisk 1 1/3 cups warm water (105°F) and the sugar in a bowl; sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.


Stir in the olive oil.  Whisk the flour and salt into stand mixer bowl.


Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture. Gradually stir with dough hook to make a ball.  You may need to add more water, so start by a tablespoon at a time.  I needed one for mine today.


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, dusting with more flour if necessary. Form into 2 balls.


Brush 2 large bowls with olive oil, add a ball of dough to each and turn to coat with the oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour, 30 minutes.


I just left mine a few hours and then put one in the fridge till dinner time, still covered with wrap.  The other I put in a ziploc bag trying to squeeze out all the air.  I put this in the freezer for another time.


Roll out and top as desired.  Son wanted double cheese, double pepperoni.  I had a jar of Rao's pizza sauce so used that with a shake of pizza seasoning.




Preheat oven to 400°F.  Bake pizza 25 minutes, until cooked through and cheese is melted.


The cheese and pepperoni were too top heavy, but that's my fault, not the dough's fault.  The crust was good.  Crispy, chewy, fluffy and flavorful.  A success.  We were sated and happy.



P.S.  The dough that came out of the freezer was better.  Didn't even need to roll it out once thawed, just turned it like a steering wheel and pressed it into the pan.  I might double up next time and freeze 3 balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment