Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Homemade "No Yeast" Pizza

I've tried to order yeast in my online grocery shops but have failed.  I couldn't get flour either and was lucky a friend picked me up a big bag.  Then I started to see on social media that everyone is home baking bread through this pandemic... A local bakery sells pizza dough right by my house here, but it's $8 and it makes one pizza.  While it's great dough with local ingredients, it's pricey!  Below is a vegetarian pizza I made with theirs a while ago.



I then searched online for a no yeast dough and found this one, so I decided to give it a go.
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4  - 1 cup water, use what you need
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
For ease, I made this in my stand mixer with the dough hook but you don't need one for it.  You could use whatever mixer and tools you have or your hands.  I preheated my oven to 400°F while I was preparing the pizza.  I put everything in except the water and started mixing on low.  I gradually added the water (turning the mixer speed up) until I had a ball and it came clean away from the bowl.


I shaped it into a ball and then rolled it out.  It was a dry dough and it wasn't the most fun to work with but I got it to fit the pizza pan.  The one I bought from the bakery, I didn't even have to roll out, just turned like a steering wheel while it was hanging down in my hands and stopped when it was the right size...anyway...



I put this onto a lightly floured counter and then rolled it out the size of my non-stick pizza pan.  I brushed the dough with some olive oil and then spread some organic no salt strained tomatoes over.  I sprinkled it with pizza seasoning (unfortunately, after the toppings as I forgot!).  I put some mozzarella and nitrate free deli ham on, some chicken pepperoni (that had nitrates, lol), red onion and dollops of ricotta cheese.  I tore fresh basil and sprinkled it over top all.  I baked this for 20 minutes.


 I sliced and served.


Meh, It reminded me of a biscuit - a dense biscuit.  It was edible.  Son didn't mind it but honestly, it was pizza, so that's why he was fine with it.  I guess I'll keep hunting for yeast, or splurge at the bakery once in a while...I wouldn't make this dough again.

No comments:

Post a Comment