Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Whole Wheat Bread Pudding

Bread pudding reminds me of my dad.  He always seemed to make something out of nothing in the kitchen and was very resourceful in that way.  I am like that now, thanks to him.  He made this a lot when I was young.  I had a loaf of stale bread, and hate wasting food, so I thought I'd make this for my son for dessert tonight.  I made savory bread pudding at Christmas that was fantastic and more my thing.


I dried the bread out on a sheet pan until I was ready to assemble.  What I used:

  • 8 slices stale whole wheat bread, cubed
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup dried tart Montmorency cherries
  • 1/2 cup pecans, slightly crushed with mallet
  • 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
  • 2 cups 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup organic sugar
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated on a microplane
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Melt butter in 9" x 9" casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Add bread cubes, cherries, pecans and raisins; toss to coat.


Beat eggs slightly in bowl. Add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.


Mix well with a whisk.  Pour over bread cubes; mash down until soaked in.


Bake about 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.


I served with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sundae syrup.


Son's first bite was, "OMG, YUMMY!"  That was a seal of approval.  A good thing happened with stale bread.  😋

No comments:

Post a Comment