Thursday, December 26, 2019

Christmas Day Dinner: Savory Mushroom Bread Pudding and more...

Merry Christmas!!!  ❄🎄⛄❄ There was a lot of debate over what would become Christmas dinner this year - steakhouse surf & turf? Greek pastitsio?  Porchetta (next year!)?  In the end, it was Prime Rib, again (at my son's request), and I chose to make this as a side in place of my usual Yorkshire pudding.  I took my own liberties with it.  I love stuffing, so this seemed suitable to serve.  I also made these pomegranate roasted carrots as the veggie side.  Riced potatoes w/ butter and cream completed the entree course.  There was no appetizer, but I did do dessert!


  • 1 loaf 1/2-inch stale challah bread cubes  
  • Swirl of extra-virgin olive oil
  • Pat of unsalted butter
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 lb organic cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 splash white vermouth, about 1/4 cup
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1 cup organic, low sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 400 grams grated, aged Welsh white cheddar cheese, divided
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

I cut my cubes the night before and let them go stale on baking sheet pan.


The oven was set to 375°F.  I used a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and added olive oil and butter to the pan. I put in the chopped onion and a good pinch of salt. When onion was softened and browned at the edges, I put in the garlic, stirring till fragrant.  I added the mushrooms.


When they were browned I added the vermouth and cooked it out. Marjoram and S&P went in next.


I removed from burner and let it sit to cool.  I used cooking spray on 13" x 9" casserole dish. I beat the eggs with the milk, cream and chicken stock.  I mixed in 1/3 of the cheese and S&P to taste.


I folded the dried bread cubes and the mushroom mixture into the custard, pressing the bread down into the liquid. I did this inside the casserole dish and let it sit until all the liquid was absorbed.  I sprinkled the remaining cheese over top. 


I baked for 30 minutes, on top of a baking sheet until the top was golden brown (broiler for that) and pudding was set.


This was a very carby, rich dish loaded with flavor!  The mushrooms and onions made it what it was.  The cheese was tangy and it was eggy and custardy.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It went well with our dinner, below.


This meal was delicious.  There is so much bread pudding left, it will likely become brunch.  It is great with gravy on it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment