Sunday, December 8, 2019

Beef Barley Soup

I always make my barley soup with ground beef but today I decided to use stewing beef.  I bought a blade (chuck) roast for it.

  • 1 & 1/2 lb blade roast, sliced and cubed 
  • Unbleached all purpose flour, as needed
  • 1 bunch of carrots, sliced
  • 1 large white onion, diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 can (142 ml) low sodium organic tomato paste
  • 796 ml can low sodium organic diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 5 cups organic, low sodium "Better than Bouillon" beef broth
  • 3 bay leaves
  • Few stalks of fresh thyme, tied with twine
  • Handful of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped and for garnish
  • 1 Parmesan cheese rind
  • 2/3 cup pot barley
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

As usual, I did all the mise en place first.



After I cubed the beef, I put it into a plastic bag that contained flour and S&P.  I shook it up until all the cubes were coated evenly.  Meanwhile I had a dutch oven heating up at medium on the stove.  I swirled in some olive oil till the bottom was coated well.  I seared the beef and moved to bowl when done.


It took me 2 batches as I did even layers on the bottom so the beef wouldn't steam.  The onion and garlic was next.  I sauteed until transparent, then added the carrots and celery.  About 5 minutes later, I added in the tomato paste and stirred it around a few minutes.  The wine went in, deglazing the pan and lifting off the fond or sticky bits from the bottom.  I let that cook until slightly reduced.  


It was nice and thick from the flour.  Then the beef and all the rest of the ingredients joined the party.


I brought to a boil, then lowered it to a simmer and covered.  I let this go for an hour.  I removed the bay leaves, thyme bundle and cheese rind.  I checked the seasoning (needed nothing) and served, garnishing with parsley.  I served with a slice of buttered sourdough.


This was fantastic!  It was thick like a stew and very tomatoey.  Flavors were on point and everything was cooked perfectly.  Beef was tender, veggies were as well but not mushy.  We were comforted and happy tonight.  Lots of leftovers for lunches too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment