Friday, April 10, 2020

Pork, Peppers & Black Beans

In my online grocery order, I requested bone-in center cut pork chops but received some boneless rib end chops.  That didn't make me happy as I wouldn't buy these normally.  I thought about pounding them out and making schnitzel, but I was too lazy today.  I didn't know what to do with them, but decided I'd whip up some kind of stir-fry with what was in my house right now.



  • 4 rib end boneless pork chops, sliced thinly across the grain
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced in half rings
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 small red bell peppers, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
  • Crushed chili flakes, to taste
  • 398 ml can organic low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 540 ml can garlic & olive oil stewed tomatoes
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Trader Joes' no-salt "21 seasoning salute", to taste
  • Trader Joe's "Umami seasoning blend", to taste
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp of water
  • Fresh cilantro, chopped coarsely for garnish



I started by sauteing the onion, garlic, peppers, chili flakes and mushrooms in olive oil until soft.  I scraped them out of the pan and put them aside.  


I added in the pork and seasoned with S&P.  When pork was cooked and browned, I added in the seasoning, tomatoes, beans and veggies.  


I covered and simmered for 20 minutes.  I checked the seasoning, it needed more S&P.  I thickened the sauce with the cornstarch slurry.  I served garnished with cilantro.  I put my son's over instant microwave basmati rice.  I just ate as is. The picture I took below has steam rising on the left side.  I didn't feel like waiting till it was gone.


This was good.  Pork was tender, sauce was flavorful.  The chili's gave it a nice kick.  While I was eating it I thought it would have been better with some cooked macaroni in it.  That could be because I had no rice though.  I'm glad I was able to use that pork for something that tasted yummy.  I still have 4 more of those chops in the freezer though...maybe schnitzel next time, we'll see...


No comments:

Post a Comment