Thursday, February 18, 2021

Orange Banana Pecan Bread

I never leave my banana bread recipe that I've been making for over 25 years now, but I do sub in items from time to time, just for a change.  Today was orange.  We got some beautiful organic ones that tasted fabulous so I decided to incorporate this into my usual loaf.  

  • 3 large ripe bananas
  • 1/3 cup avocado oil
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar 
  • 1 egg, beaten (ARGH!  I forgot my egg this time - I realized 5 minutes after it was in the oven!!!!)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 & 1/2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur (I used this to up the orange flavor)
  • 1 cup of pecans, lightly smashed in a Ziploc with a mallet

Almost perfectly zested

Preheat the oven to 350°F.   


I compose this all in my stand mixer, starting with the bananas first and the flour last, followed by the nuts.  


I only mix until everything is well incorporated and then pour into a cooking spray coated loaf pan.


I bake for an hour but check at about 50 minutes (toothpick in the middle coming out clean).  


Today was ready at exactly 50 minutes and it didn't look any different on the outside for forgetting the egg.  I was really worried about what would happen.  It smelled amazing in the house though!  


Cool on a rack until warm before slicing/serving.  I always, always use butter slathered on when serving.  


Son confirmed it was a bit drier and denser by lack of egg.  Also noted that he preferred "normal" banana bread, lol.  I enjoyed the orange!  I found it gave interesting bright flavor notes.  I don't ever eat this but had a slice today.  



No comments:

Post a Comment