Thursday, March 4, 2021

Calzone

I would have told you I never made a calzone before tonight, but then I searched my blog and saw I have!  I asked my son if he wanted this or homemade pizza tonight and he said this.  His wish was my command...

I do make my own pizza dough but I supported a local business today and got a delivery from them.  I order from them frequently as they have their own delivery service and have great food/products.  Plus one of my favorite "Top Chef Canada" chefs now belongs to this place. What went in this calzone was all my son's request as he was the only one eating it, and he love cheese, lol:

  • 1 pizza dough, rolled out in a circle about 1/4" thick
  • Arrabbiata sauce (this came from a jar but we like it.  Small batch and imported from Italy), and more for serving
  • Greek oregano, to taste
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup Fior di Latte Mozzarella cheese, cut in one slice
  • 1/4 cup 4 year aged white cheddar
  • Crushed red chili peppers, to taste
  • 12 paper-thin slices Genoa salami
  • 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thinly as possible
  • Fresh basil leaves, to taste, torn
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, to brush parchment & top of calzone with
  • Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese, micro-planed on top of calzone

I lined a 1/4 sheet pan with parchment paper and preheated the oven to 425°F.  I rolled the dough into a circle and then placed a smaller circle of sauce inside.  Then I put the all the toppings over top.  Below is how I assembled:

Sauce, Oregano and Red Onion

Mozza and Crushed Chilies

Genoa Salami, Cheddar and Fior di latte


I folded and crimped with a fork.  Restraint is always difficult for me so I'm not sure how much filling would have been appropriate but we would soon find out... I sealed by rolling the edges upwards.  As soon as I did this, I realized I forgot to put in the fresh basil!  Oh well, garnish then...


I moved this to the parchment paper and used scissors to cut 3 small vents so it didn't blow up in the oven.  I brushed the oil over and finished with Parmesan cheese on top.  


This went in for 30 minutes.  I cooled for 5 minutes before plating.  I served with a ramekin of sauce for dipping.  I only cut the end off for my picture as I would have served it whole and untouched otherwise. I garnished with torn basil but forgot to take a picture.


Son said it was fantastic.  Said dough was perfectly cooked and crispy.  Fillings were cheesy and delicious.  He sliced it into strips and dipped it in the sauce.  I asked which is better - pizza or calzone?  He was non-committal and said it depends on the day...  BTW, he ate the whole calzone...

No comments:

Post a Comment