Sunday, November 28, 2021

Spinach & Three Cheese Cannelloni

I saw "ready to bake" cannelloni shells while shopping so decided to make some.  I can't remember the last time I made this which is the reason I'm blogging it.  We didn't have any mozzarella so I subbed aged Gouda for it.  

  • 770 ml jar of "Rao's" marinara sauce
  • "Beemster" classic Gouda cheese, for topping, grated 
  • 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated
  • 2 cups Ricotta cheese
  • 2 free range eggs
  • 1 lb clamshell fresh organic baby spinach, microwaved with 2 tablespoons water, covered with plastic wrap for 4 minutes, then squeezed dry when cool
  • 1 tablespoon freeze dried Italian seasoning
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh nutmeg, grated to taste
  • 21 cannelloni tubes

I combined the Asiago, ricotta, eggs, spinach, seasoning, nutmeg and S&P together until well mixed.  


I scooped it into a piping bag.  I coated a 13" x 9" baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.  I spread a little sauce down so it covered the bottom of the dish.  


I squeezed the filling into the shells and laid them in the dish.  I am not going to lie, this was messy and a real bitch to do!  My tips weren't the right size, the spinach was too big and clogged it.  I should have chopped it up in hindsight.  Then I got filling squirting backwards everywhere!  I had to remove both tips, then one hole was too big so I had to get another bag.  Then the next tip got backed up and I had to cut it out.   I then carefully tried to pipe it in.  What a mess!  It was on my floor, my walls, my other dishes...  Maybe that's why I buy the premade ones in the fresh section of the grocery store?  Then I had to turn them all sideways to fit in the casserole dish.  


I poured the remaining marinara sauce over the top as evenly as possible.  I sprinkled the Gouda over top, and put into the fridge overnight.  I added a half cup of water when baking the next day.  


I preheated the oven to 350°F. I covered with foil and put into oven for 45 minutes.  I uncovered and cooked for another 15 minutes.  I served.


Wow, this was delicious!!!  The nutmeg was such a delight, it just gave it a little "sumthin' sumthin'".  The Gouda cheese also gave a nice nutty flavor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment