Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Broccoli Cheddar "Mishmash" Soup

Call this a multitude experiment or just using what I had in the fridge and pantry.  I have a super huge bag of frozen broccoli in my freezer from Costco so it was time to give it some use!

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 of extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Fresh nutmeg, grated to taste
  • Large stalk of fresh thyme
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Crushed red chilies, to taste
  • 1 small fennel bulb, diced with a couple fronds
  • 4 smallish russet potatoes, peeled, large dice
  • 4 small carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery with leaves, sliced
  • 2 lbs pesticide free frozen broccoli florets
  • 5 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium chicken base
  • 3 cups extra-old white cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 cup aged Gouda, grated
  • 2 cups cooked carved ham, diced
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced reserving some for garnish
  • Splash of white wine vinegar
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

In a Dutch oven I melted the butter and olive oil over med-high heat.  I added the onion, garlic, celery, fennel, chilies, S&P and carrots.  I sautéed until soft then added the flour, stirring well until cooked out and incorporated.  


I poured in the stock, thyme, bay leaves, potatoes and brought to a boil.  


I lowered the heat, covered and simmered for 20 minutes until the potatoes were soft.  I added in the broccoli next and let soften for another 20 minutes.  


At this point I used an immersion blender to smooth it all but removed the thyme stem and bay leaves first though.  


I seasoned with more S&P, added the ham, cheese (handful by handful until melted), vinegar and green onions.  When fully heated and cheese was melty good I served garnishing with more green onion.  


I thought that adding the potatoes would make it better and it helped, I think?  This was almost like a loaded baked potato soup - with broccoli.  It was thick and creamy without the cream and the cheese gave a nice sharp bite.  It turned out fairly well, though there was a weird mishmash of flavors for sure!  It always seems when I experiment, I blog the "okay" ones and the best ones never get attention and are fast forgotten...  Murphy's Law I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment