Sunday, January 2, 2022

Garlicky Roast Pork Shoulder (Pernil Asado)

I can't remember the last time I had a good pork roast.  I saw this and knew I had to have it.  Groceries give me huge sticker shock these days and it seems funny thinking that pork shoulder is a "splurge" but it was... I read pork, rice, oranges and beans are all good luck to eat on New Years day, so this meal fit the bill for today...

  • 3.5 lb boneless pork shoulder
  • 1 bunch cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
  • ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice and zest
  • 9 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
  • 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Lime wedges, for serving

All the ingredients above (except lime wedges) went into a large Ziploc bag and marinated in the fridge overnight. 


The next day I preheated the oven to 400°F.  I let the pork come to room temperature for an hour.  I liberally seasoned again with S&P.  Fat side up I set this in a enamel coated cast iron Dutch oven that was coated with cooking spray.  


I roasted for 40 minutes and then turned the heat down to 300°F.  This went back in for another 3 hours.  



I served this with Cuban black beans, cilantro lime rice and lime wedges.  


Both the beans (recipe in link above) and this roast will be going into the rotation.  Absolutely divine, this meal was.  I will serve the beans over quinoa going forward but wanted to try rice for the first time.  The crispy pork cracklin' was delicious, the pork was tender as can be.  Lime squirted over everything just brought the meal to a home run.  The cracklin' was a touch darker than I wanted but I used a new setting on my "smart" oven and I'm still learning how to navigate it properly.  


I would love nothing more to see this year wrap up/end the pandemic with Omicron that is spreading like wildfire where I live.  I hope there will be a reprieve for health care workers soon.  That is my wish for 2022.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment