Sunday, January 16, 2022

Tabbouleh Greek Salad

I quite like bulgur wheat.  I have some in my freezer and was craving a healthy salad so this is what I made.  I guess it'd be called a "mash-up" - half Greek , half Tabbouleh salad.  I served it with falafel pitas and it was dinner.

  • 1 cup whole-grain red bulgur, prepared to package directions
  • 1/2 cup organic hemp hearts
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 1 lime, zested and juiced and more wedges for garnish
  • Splash of jarred homemade giardiniera liquid
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, innards removed and small dice
  • 1/4 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
  • 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped finely
  • 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped finely
  • 1 red onion, diced and fresh lime juice squeezed over
  • Handful Kalamata olives, pits removed and fine dice
  • 1 red bell pepper, small dice
  • 1 teaspoon ground sumac
  • 1/2 teaspoon organic cumin
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Feta cheese, crumbled, to taste


I put the bulgur in a container, added boiling water and then let it sit for an hour.  All the water was absorbed so I added the hemp, zests, citrus juices, giardiniera liquid, sumac, cumin, olive oil and salt and pepper.  I stirred, fluffed and tasted.  Mmm, very tasty!  I put it in the fridge covered until ready to use.




The next day I prepped and added all the remaining ingredients.  I combined till well mixed.  I checked the taste/seasoning and served with lime wedges.  


This was DEE-LICIOUS!  I especially loved the crunchy cucumber/onion bites.  Everything just worked together and nothing overwhelmed.  I'm glad I made a lot so I can eat it for a few days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment