Thursday, January 27, 2022

Braised Chicken Thighs with Squash and Kale

I had intended to use my brand new enamel coated cast iron braiser for a Moroccan dish that originally was made in a tagine.  It called for Cara Cara oranges which I had at home now.  However, I saw this recipe and wanted to make it instead as the picture made me drool.  I decided to add the oranges in it.  I also had to add an onion and garlic.   Anyway, here's what I used:

  • 2 Cara Cara oranges, zested and quartered, inside pith cut out
  • 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
  • 1 bunch green onions, white and pale green parts sliced into 1-inch pieces, dark green parts thinly sliced
  • 4 dried chiles de árbol
  • 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons pure sesame oil (wow, that's a lot, but I went with it!) 
  • 1 cup organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 small acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, sliced ½ inch thick
  • 1 bunch curly kale, stems removed, leaves torn bitesize 
  • 2 big handfuls organic baby spinach
  • 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 9 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, patted dry
  • Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste


This was a mise en place first dish.  I heated the oil in the skillet and seasoned the chicken with S&P.  I browned it over med-high heat and put on a plate to rest.  I did this in 2 batches so not to overcrowd the pan.  Maybe because my braiser was new and is not "seasoned", the skin stuck to the pan?  It was definitely hot enough and I left it long enough before flipping.  Anyway, it browned but the skin detached off most pieces in both batches.  


I drained most of the fat but kept enough to sauté the white and pale green parts of scallions, onion, garlic, chilies and ginger.  



I stirred often, until scallions and ginger were golden, about 3 minutes.   In went the wine, brought to a simmer, and cooked until reduced to about 1/4 cup was left.  Then the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and broth went in.  I brought it to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. The chicken went back in, skin side up. Partially covering the pot, this went into a preheated 350°F oven until cooked through, 25–30 minutes. 


I transferred chicken to a plate.  I added the squash, oranges, zest and S&P, pushing in the veggies till mostly submerged.  


I arranged the kale on top, and the spinach on top of the kale. 



This went back into the oven, partially covered until squash was barely fork-tender and greens were wilted.  This took about 15 minutes.  I took the lid off  and put the chicken back in and flipped it over to make sure it was sauced.  I continued to cook until liquid reduced by about two-thirds and consistency was of thin gravy, about another 15 minutes or until chicken was heated through again.  

I drizzled the vinegar over the greens and stirred, tasting and checking the seasoning.  I garnished with the remaining scallions and sesame seeds.  


I served over coconut basmati rice.  


We enjoyed the orange flavor most.  I did so much it made me wish I'd made the Moroccan dish.  However, I get what this dish was
supposed to be, I just didn't nail it.  Especially not like the picture.  Neither of us liked the squash skin in there (bitter and unpalatable) and I was really bummed at how my chicken browned losing the skin.  Other than that, it was totally edible.  A little heat, salty and sweet and relatively healthy.  This won't get a repeat... I'd make this again instead.  What's funny weird is I made almost the same dish when I got my enamel coated Dutch oven 6 years ago...  One last thing, the flavor improved 10-fold the next day...

No comments:

Post a Comment