Saturday, January 29, 2022

Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

I had these huge mushrooms and thought it was the perfect opportunity to stuff them.  Since I had Italian sausage in the freezer, I skewed the filling to Italian seasoning.  I based mine on a recipe by Ina Garten.

  • 8 large white mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned
  • 2 hot Italian sausages, casing removed
  • 300 gram log goat cheese
  • 5 green onions, sliced
  • Mushroom stems, chopped 
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Unsalted butter, couple pats as needed
  • 1/4 cup Marsala wine
  • 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped finely
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • Fresh cracked pepper & kosher salt, to taste
  • Provolone cheese slices, for mushroom tops
  • Lemon wedges for serving


I cleaned/brushed the mushrooms and pulled the stems which I chopped into small pieces.  


History has shown me to get a head start on the mushroom caps so I sautéed these in some olive oil, butter and a bit of water.  When browned, I seasoned with S&P and finished with a splash of Marsala wine.  I put these into a casserole dish coated with cooking spray.  


I sautéed the mushroom stems and sausage next trying to crush the sausage up.  I drained the fat after.  I mixed in the goat cheese, Panko, green onions and parsley and seasoned with S&P.  I let cool.  


I stuffed each mushroom cap as high as I could and topped with a piece of Provolone cheese.  


I still had a bit of leftover filling and the taste was extremely goat cheesy, but I used so much as I had to use it up.  I have another log of it and it's leftover from Christmas, the expiry dates are coming up soon...


These went into a preheated 350°F oven for about 30 minutes, until cheese was melted on the tops and everything heated through.  I served with lemon wedges to cut through the heaviness of the goat cheese.  


These were really a meal in itself.  I really, really liked the Marsala on the shrooms.  Marriage made in heaven.  I used too much goat cheese which obliterated the Panko, but other than that, these were tasty.  The lemon was the saving grace.  And that Provolone on top was a nice touch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment