Monday, January 10, 2022

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I remember I used to make these all the time when my son was a little boy which was a LOT of years ago now.  Anyway, I decided it was time to see if I still thought they were as good as back then?

  • 398 ml can organic pumpkin puree
  • 2 large organic eggs
  • 1 tablespoon homemade pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup pure Canadian maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
  • 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • Organic pumpkin seeds, for topping

I preheated the oven to 375°F.  I mixed the wet ingredients in a bowl, followed by the dry and combined until mixed.


I coated a 12 tin muffin pan with cooking spray and distributed the batter evenly into all 12 cups.  I topped with pumpkin seeds.  It was at this point I realized I forgot the grapeseed oil.  😢  I had 2 choices, go ahead and bake as is or try and add it.  I tried to add it by drizzling a little oil over each muffin and then swirled it in with a toothpick.  To be honest, they looked a little oily, but oh well, in it went.  


Well, the oil bubbled over into the oven and smoked out my kitchen so not the brightest idea I've ever had.  I added "cleaning the oven" to my chore list.  🙄 These were in the oven for about 20 minutes.  Toothpick in pulled out clean.  Thankfully the muffins weren't burnt and they didn't inherit the taste of the smoky oven.  I cooled in pan 5 minutes and then on rack completely.  


MEH.  Too healthy?  These won't go into our rotation.  I found it hard to taste the pumpkin.  A bit of the spice came through but really it was more like a plain chocolate chip muffin.  When you add in the time it took to clear the smoke out of the house and clean the oven, these were definitely NOT worth the effort!  😉


No comments:

Post a Comment