Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Kale Pesto with Asiago Cheese

I had a bunch of kale that I needed to use so I decided to make pesto with it.  I had a package of blanched almonds in the cupboard so I decided I'd pair that with it after toasting them.  

  • 1 bunch of curly kale, stripped from stems, washed and dried, torn into pieces
  • 100 grams sliced, blanched almonds, toasted
  • 1/2 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed to preferred consistency
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 lemon, zested and squeezed
  • 1/2 cup fresh Asiago cheese, grated
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of crushed chili flakes
  • 1 teaspoon local honey


I washed and dried my kale in a salad spinner.  Then I tore it and put it in the food processor.  I added the nuts and pulsed until broken down pretty well, scraping sides as necessary.


I added everything else in except the olive oil and pulsed again until well combined.  


I streamed the olive oil in with the machine turned on until it was gone.  I added an extra little splash and more S&P till I got the taste/texture I desired.


I scooped into two 1-cup mason jars.  One went in the fridge, the other to the freezer.  


It tasted better after it sat in the fridge for a while and the flavors bloomed.  I think I enjoyed the Asiago taste and the toasted almonds the best.  My son LOVES pesto so it was good to make for his work lunches to have on sandwiches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment