Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Chorizo, Chickpea, Potato Soup

This is my own creation, so I'm writing it down in case it comes out okay.  Unfortunately the truth is that whenever I blog creations, they're usually a disaster.  It's always when I don't that I make something divine that never gets remembered.  Murphy's Law I suppose...

  • 1 & 3/4 cups dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked
  • 1 dried chorizo sausage, diced small
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced small
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and innards intact, diced small
  • 1" nub of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb "new Warba" nugget potatoes, quartered
  • 1 bunch of kale, stems stripped and chopped
  • 398 ml can coconut cream
  • 8 oz can original "Rotel" tomatoes
  • 2 cups "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon Garam Masala curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1 tablespoon harissa paste
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish

I tried to rein myself in there and stop with ingredients.  I figured if it didn't taste good I could try and doctor it later...I lack restraint in my cooking at times.  Below is all the veggies & chorizo before the heat went on.  


I heated some olive oil in a Dutch oven and sautéed the chorizo, ginger, onion, garlic, jalapeno, carrots until softened and aromatic.  I stirred in the spices next until fragrant.  I added the potatoes, liquids and chickpeas and seasoned with S&P (below):


I brought to a boil then turned it down to a simmer, covering partially with a lid until potatoes were cooked, about 30 minutes.  At that time I added in the kale.  I simmered for 10 more minutes and gave a final tasting for seasoning, I added salt.


It was quite spicy so I also put a dollop of honey Greek yogurt on the top, and garnished with cilantro.


I was going for a stew but it was more like a soup.  This was good, no complaints though I didn't create any mind-blowing delicious delight either.  The spices could have been better, maybe should just use whatever is used for Aloo/Chana next time.  I imagine it might taste better tomorrow as it sits overnight and might even become the stew I was looking for.  It'll get eaten no matter what so that's a bonus.  😉

No comments:

Post a Comment