Monday, August 21, 2023

Crunchwrap Supreme

I've never had the pleasure of eating one of these at Taco Bell, but I wanted to make them once I saw it on the interweb somewhere.  The crunch comes from a tostada in the middle then a soft tortilla is wrapped around to seal everything in.  It's then griddled.  I didn't have any nacho cheese sauce so just used "Cheez Whiz" instead:

  • Grapeseed oil, for griddle
  • 1.5 lbs ground meat, (I used sausage & chicken)
  • 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
  • 8 large flour tortillas, (10-inch, burrito size)
  • "Cheez Whiz" sauce, as needed
  • 4 corn tostada shells
  • Sour cream, as needed
  • Iceberg lettuce, shredded, as needed
  • 2 tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
  • 1 - 2 cups extra-old Cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced in rings


First I took 4 flour tortillas and cut the tostada shape in them and took out the squares.  I preheated the oven air-fryer to 400°F.  I brushed a thin layer of grapeseed oil on the griddle then assembled the tacos.  



I started with Cheez whiz, then taco meat and grated cheese.  


The tostada went down next which I slathered in sour cream.  


That was followed by the lettuce, tomato, jalapeno and more cheese.  


The tortilla square went down over that and I tried to seal the wrap.  I used water around the flour tortilla edge which I brushed on.  


I flipped these seam side down, oiled the tops with cooking spray.  


These went into the oven for about 15 minutes and were browned.  


I cut each one in half, hearing the crunch as I did so.  The lettuce layer wasn't really distinguishable though.  I served with salsa and lime.


These were deeeeelicious!!!  Just yummy.  They ate like sandwiches too and everything stayed intact.  I was pleasantly surprised and would make them again.  The taco fillings are anything you desire.  I'd use more lettuce next time but other than that, these were pretty perfect.  ❣️ I didn't need that much meat, I had a lot leftover, a pound would have been plenty.


No comments:

Post a Comment