Friday, May 31, 2024

Homemade Pickled Okra

I tried to buy jarred pickled okra locally but couldn't find it.  So, I decided to make it myself and found this recipe.  Here's my take on it:

  • 1 lb okra
  • 4 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar 
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar 
  • 5 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 tablespoon honey 
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
  • 2 spicy Thai red chilies, sliced lengthwise


Wash the okra, remove the stems and slice the okra crosswise. Toss the okra in a colander with 2 tablespoons of salt. Allow to drain for 1 hour.


Add the water, vinegar, salt (remaining 2 tablespoons), garlic, honey, bay leaves, dill, and mustard seeds to a saucepan.  Bring the mixture to a quick boil, then remove from heat and stir.  Rinse the okra in cold water to remove any slime and salt.


Place into large jar(s).  Leave 1 inch of space from the top.  Add chilies on the top.  Pour in the brine and seasoning mixture and twist lid on tightly.


Refrigerate for 24 hours before using to develop the flavors, though they can be eaten right away. Apparently they are much better after one week.  After a day, they were slimy.  I don't mind the slime but I could see how it could be off-putting in texture to some people... the taste was good, but subtle and they were nice and crunchy.  I would wait a few more days to try again...  

Well two days later, the vinegar was like a slimy swamp, thick and gooey.  You couldn't take one out without a long trail of sludge coming out of it!  I was yucked out.  So I dumped them in a colander and rinsed them WELL in cold water.  Then I made a new brine and back to the fridge they went.  Fingers crossed.  I would need them in two more days for a salad...and it worked much better.  Most of the slime was gone and the salad was really good with them.  If I made them again, I'd have to research how to get that slime gone first...

No comments:

Post a Comment