Friday, May 31, 2024

Low Country Pickled Shrimp Salad

I saw this on food t.v. and I knew (providing I could find pickled okra) that this would be my next salad.  I ended up pickling my own okra as I couldn't find it locally.  What I used:

  • 2 pounds cooked wild shrimp 
  • 1 & 1/2 cups sliced pickled okra
  • 3/4 cup fresh lime juice, and zest of 2 limes
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon "Old Bay" seafood seasoning
  • 2 large organic Roma tomatoes, diced (I cored and seeded mine)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced and whatever celery leaves you can score off them
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 small cubanelle green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • Handful cilantro, chopped
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Butter lettuce, for serving
  • Pita bread, warmed (optional, for serving)
Place shrimp in bowl. Add the okra, lime juice, vegetable oil, seafood seasoning, tomatoes, celery, cilantro, green onion, red onion, red and green bell peppers and some salt. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate to marinate and chill, 30 minutes to 1 hour.


Above was everything mixed together except the lime dressing and okra.  My son didn't like my pickled okra so after I dressed the salad, I separated his and used the only pickle he likes, pepperoncini in his dish.


Transfer the shrimp salad to butter lettuce cups. Serve with halved pita bread for dipping and/or stuffing filling into pita.  I was going to spoon it into the lettuce cups and try and make it look pretty like a flower but by the time I served, I just slapped it on the plate...  😉  That's what "day drinking" does...


The okra was my favorite part of the salad.  Otherwise it pretty much tasted like ceviche to me.  It was really good stuffed into the warmed pita, I enjoyed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment