Friday, June 28, 2024

Pad Kra Pao

I make this on rotation but have never put the recipe up so today was the day.  It really only takes a couple of minutes to put together once you've done the mise en place (15 more minutes?).  It's a ground meat and "Holy Basil" stir fry.  What I used today:

  • 5 birds eye (Thai) chilies, sliced thinly crosswise with seeds, stems removed
  • 1 large shallot, sliced thinly crosswise
  • 7 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Grapeseed oil, a couple tablespoons(?)
  • 1 lb lean ground pork (you could use beef, chicken, turkey, etc)
  • Holy Basil, large handful (I used Italian basil today)
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce, for sauce
  • 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, for sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, for sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (I used unrefined coconut), for sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, for sauce
  • Organic eggs, one each for serving
  • Jasmine rice, for serving
  • Lime, cut in quarters, for garnish


In a wok, heat the oil to med-high and add the chilies, shallot and garlic.  Those chilies are mean and can make you cough.  Stir until fragrant.  


Add the pork and mince up, stirring until cooked.  


Add the sauce, mix well.  Add the water and then fold in the basil.  


Remove from heat and fry eggs.


Serve over jasmine rice and a crispy sunny side egg on top.  Garnish with lime wedges.  I found it too salty today until I used the lime, then it was fine so I would make sure to have it available.  I think I'll cut all the sauces to half a tablespoon next time.  We love this dish.  Below, I served mine over leftover quinoa tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment