Sunday, April 15, 2018

Chicken Paprikash

I was sure I had posted this recipe here already as it's one of my favorite dishes, but I haven't.  I was sure I got it from a co-worker, years ago but when I asked her, she told me her recipe was a Paprikash soup.  So now, I'm sure that I don't really know when I'm "sure"... Anyway, I don't know where I got the "how to" for this, but below is what I do.  There are a tonne of different recipes and comments about what is authentic Hungarian is and what is not.  The last time I made it and brought it to someone at work, he told me it tasted like "butter chicken".  I think I used boneless, skinless thighs that time.  😏  So, whatever I do is most likely not authentic, but all I care is that it tastes good.  It's comfort food and this was Sunday dinner.

  • 10 small chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
  • 1 & 1/2 large white onions, halved and sliced thinly
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup low sodium "Better than Bouillon" vegetable stock
  • 1 can (14oz) organic, no salt added, diced tomatoes
  • 3 good tablespoons of "Szeged Hungarian Sweet Paprika"
  • 1/2 teaspoon Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika (I find this stuff potent in the heat!)
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • 1 cup fat free (1.5% milk fat) sour cream
  • 375 grams bag Broad noodles (I use ones that don't have eggs in them), prepared to package directions
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely for sauce, noodles and to garnish
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
I put the oil in fry pan and seasoned the thighs with S&P after patting off the moisture on each piece.  I heated the pan to medium and when hot, browned the chicken on both sides, skin side down first.  I waited till the skin was golden and crisp.  Don't turn them until the skin lifts easily.  I did this in 2 batches so I didn't overcrowd and steam the chicken.  I put them on a plate when done.  Below is the first batch.


I drained the fat off leaving enough to saute the onions and garlic.  I left these going until they were caramelized.  I added in the paprika and S&P and stirred until well combined.  I added in the stock, parsley, bay leaves and tomatoes, then mixed.


I layered all the chicken over top and brought to a boil.


I covered and turned it down to a very low, low simmer.  I set the timer for 1 hour and let it cook through.  I removed the bay leaves.


I stirred the flour into the sour cream.  To avoid the worry of "clumping flour or breaking cream", I mixed in a little of the sauce from the pan.  I did this to warm it all up and then incorporated it into the rest of the chicken dish.  I simmered at a low boil again (10 minutes) until thickened and then I took it off the heat.  I served over the noodles.  I always put a small pat of unsalted butter, S&P and some parsley into the pot first and toss the noodles.


I served, garnished with more parsley.  Comfort food for sure.  Very good, and well done.  Chicken was fall off the bone and melt in the mouth tender.  Spicing was perfect with the right amount of heat and paprika flavor, though dominant.  That being said, next time I'd just use level tablespoons of the paprika not heaping like I did this time.  The meal was enjoyed by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment