Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Seaweed & Sweet Pea Shoots Salad

This is easy to make.  I really like this salad as a side when having Japanese food.  When I look at the pre-made store bought brands, like at Costco, the ingredient list looks full of chemicals.  I decided to make my own creation tonight.  The only ingredient in the package below is dried seaweed, nothing else.  I would have used cucumber too, but my son doesn't like it.  I served this with some Pacific cod which I poached in unsweetened almond milk and cilantro.  My son also got a bonus green onion pancake with his as I went to the Asian market today for my lunch walk:

  • 2.5 oz dried, cut, Wakame seaweed, soaked in cold water for 15 minutes (Next time I would use half this amount)
  • Big handful of fresh sweet pea shoots, rinsed well
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1/4 cup coconut aminos
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon organic, non-refined coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 1/2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and grated on a microplane
  • 1 small clove of garlic, minced
  • Bunch of radishes, cut lengthwise in small slivers

  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
  • Zest and juice of one lime
  • Toasted sesame seeds, to taste, for garnish
I soaked the seaweed first.  When done, I rinsed it really well again (it was still salty) and then drained it in a colander.  I then squished out the excess water out with my hands.  I put in a bowl.  That was a LOT of seaweed.  It looked so small when I started out, lol.   I tossed in the pea shoots, carrot, green onions, radishes and cilantro and combined with my hands as the bowl was full.


I mixed the vinegar, sesame oil, coconut aminos, soy sauce, sugar, chili flakes, garlic, lime zest and juice together and poured over the salad.  I'd adjust these amounts next time.  There was sooo much salad, I had to increase some portions!


When everything was blended all together, I sprinkled in some sesame seeds.  The dressing made the salad smaller and manageable for tossing.  I covered and let sit in the fridge until dinner was ready.  Below is a side plate serving.


Well, this was fantastic!  It turned out really lovely.  The pea shoots were so good in taste and texturally.  Tasted like fresh crisp peas straight out of the pod.  The dressing hit all the right notes of sweet and heat and tart.  I'll be eating this a lot over the next few days, but it will be made again, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment