Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Fried Brown Rice with Pork

I had some leftover pork roast to use up and thought I'd whip this dish up for dinner tonight.  I made enough to have leftovers.  I wanted to buy some good healthy rice, so chose organic Lundberg brown jasmine.  For sure this is my favorite brand that I have tried so far, that I can find locally in any grocery store.  I would have normally cooked it last night so it was ready to use today, but didn't have any in the house.

  • 2 cups dry brown jasmine rice, prepared to package directions (I used low sodium vegetable stock instead of water)
  • 1 lb of leftover pork roast, cut in slices and then in cubes
  • 1/2 lb organic shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly and stems removed
  • 1 bunch of green onions, sliced
  • 1 large handful of bean sprouts
  • Liquid fat free egg whites (equivalent to 3 eggs) and 1 free range egg, scrambled
  • 3 tablespoons Trader Joe's Organic Coconut Aminos (this is way, way lower in sodium than soy sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar (Chinkiang)
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh peeled ginger, minced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 small bunch of broccoli florets, chopped pretty small
  • White pepper, to taste
First thing when I got home I got the rice going and set it aside to cool when done.  Rice was sooooo good - it alone could have been dinner and all would have been happy.  In fact, I only made one cup but after I tasted it, I made another cup, which added another hour of time to dinner.  Chewy, nutty and tasty from the broth.  Just perfect.  Yum!


I mixed the coconut aminos, sesame oil and rice vinegar together and set aside.  Then I went about the Mise en place, chopping until everything was lined up and ready to go.  I put everything in the order I would cook them.  I got a large (my largest which I use in place of a wok) non-stick skillet and turned the heat to medium high.  I put in the avocado oil.  I started by sauteing the onion, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, chili flakes and broccoli until soft.


I added in the pork next and stirred until heated and slightly browned.  Below is a side plate, for reference.


The rice went in next with the green onions.  When stir-fried until heated through thoroughly I moved the rice over and scrambled the eggs on one side.


I incorporated this into the rice and then poured the liquids in and mixed well.  I seasoned with white pepper and added the sprouts to finish.  One more good toss and  I served.


This was the first time I've used the coconut aminios and I was impressed, to say the least.  It was exactly as advertised.  This was excellent.  I was fine with the lack of soy sauce, but I did put some on my son's.  Ultimately, a good way to use up leftover pork roast.  The rice was definitely the star, which I think it should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment