Thursday, September 13, 2018

Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry over Quinoa

I had some chicken tenders in the fridge so thought a stir fry would be a good idea and made this on the fly after picking up some broccoli and ginger at the grocery store by work.



I had everything else in the house at home.  I patted the chicken dry and cut the strips in half, bigger pieces in thirds.  I seasoned with a little S&P and put them in a bowl.  I set them aside in the fridge until needed.  I chopped the veggies.


Tonight I used:

  • 1 & 1/2 lbs chicken breast tenders
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 medium white onion, halved and sliced thinly
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and diced finely
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large head of broccoli crowns, chopped into small florets
  • Roasted sesame seeds, for garnish
  • 1 cup organic quinoa cooked in low sodium chicken broth and sliced green onions, made to package directions, in place of rice for the side
Stir Fry Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup low sodium coconut aminos (in place of soy sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon organic coconut sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon chili flakes or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
I mixed all the sauce ingredients until combined and set it aside.  I cooked the chicken first in a tablespoon of avocado oil.  I just left it until it was no longer pink.


I put them on a plate and put the remaining oil in the pan and got it to a high heat.  I put in the onions, garlic and ginger.


I cooked these until soft and onions were starting to brown.


I added the broccoli and the sauce.  I cooked for about 5 minutes then I stirred back in the chicken and let it simmer until broccoli was semi-tender (we like it crisp) and sauce was thickened, about another 10 minutes.  The quinoa was ready now too.


I served over quinoa and sprinkled with sesame seeds.  This was nice, relatively easy weeknight meal.  I wished I had some cilantro at home to zest it up a little, but no complaints and I have lunch tomorrow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment