Friday, October 26, 2018

Chinese Hotdish

On Food Network Canada television, I recently found her (Molly Yeh) show, and I adore her.  I don't usually like the women on that channel, so that's saying something. 😏 .  I started following her on Social Media and made this recipe, sort of...and I laughed out loud while reading it when she said "Chinese Hotdish" was her stripper name.  I don't really like to cook Friday nights, but this was super easy though I did add some extra prep time, but hey, I did it!  It was in the oven in about a half hour.


I used extra lean ground turkey and added some onion, dash of crushed chilies, celery, garlic and fresh cilantro.  I subbed the cilantro for the green onions in her recipe.  I had some organic baby spinach, so threw a couple of handfuls of that in too.  She said to use short or medium grain brown rice.  I used 3/4 cup organic heirloom brown short grain and 1/4 cup wild rice instead.  After I messed with her recipe so much, I had no idea if it would even turn out...Fingers crossed.  🤞


I have pots that can go from stove to oven, so I used one of those.  The handles remove and attach with a click so it's easy to slip it in the oven and take it out.  I started by browning the turkey with the onion, celery, garlic and ginger in a swirl of avocado oil for the fat.


I stirred in the soy sauce (low sodium), chilies and then Szechuan pepper, to taste.  I wanted it browner still, so I added a half teaspoon of "Kitchen Bouquet".  Then it was time to dump in the rest of the ingredients.  I put in the stock (low sodium), coconut milk, rice, cilantro and finished with spinach.  I mixed until the spinach was wilted.  I brought up just to a boil and then tasted the liquid.  It was really flavorful.


I popped it into the oven and set the timer for 90 minutes.  I stirred every 20 minutes as I didn't want the liquid to evaporate too early so I wanted to keep checking.  I took it out 10 minutes early and then let it sit.


I broke some of the noodles up in my hands and sprinkled them over top and then added the remaining cilantro.


I can't imagine what I'd do with those noodles ever again?  I served.


It was good!  It wasn't blow your mind good, but look what it was.  We loved the cilantro flavor.  This dish ate as comforting and satisfying.  Loved that short grain rice too, it was perfect for this.  Those noodles really gave a great crunchy texture and I think were needed.  Overall, we were happy.  Did someone say it's nap time?


No comments:

Post a Comment