Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Chef Jet Tila's Classic Lo Mein Noodles

I buy my cookbooks electronically now.  They're cheaper and as I get older I am slowly getting into my own version of minimalism and trying not to grow in possessions.  I have a bookcase of cook books and I love them all - they stay.  But now it's the e-reader where my books are stored.  So, this is his book and this is my first venture into one of his recipes. In reading thus far, his recipes are straight forward, and not difficult or complicated.  Therefore; not intimidating.  He noted that this is a quick recipe and including prep time, it can be done in under a half hour.  Perfect for me on weeknights.  I added a half onion, sliced thinly and some crushed red pepper to this recipe.
  • 3 tbsp oyster sauce 
  • 1 tsp sesame oil 
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce 
  • ¼ cup chicken stock (I used low sodium) 
  • 1 tsp cornstarch 
  • 3 tbsp cooking oil 
  • 2 tsp minced garlic (I used 2 large cloves)
  • 1½ tbsp thinly sliced ginger (I peeled mine)
  • ½ lb chicken breast or thigh (I used thigh meat), thin sliced
  • 3 cups fresh lo mein noodles (all I could find was Shanghai thick noodles today)
  • ¼ lb baby bok choy, bottoms removed (I had no idea how much so used 6)
  • 3 scallions, cut into 1½” pieces
I went to the grocery store at lunch time and picked up what I didn't have which was the noodles, ginger and baby bok choy.   I didn't have time to hit my usual Asian market today.  The noodles weren't correct as they didn't have egg (they had egg whites though), so I guess this isn't "lo mein?"  Anyway, it was between these and Japanese udon.  😒.  Jet said the dish is made with "relatively thin egg noodles with some tooth".  Anyway, I did my chopping first and laid everything out, ready to cook.



There were no directions at all on my noodles!


I noticed they said "cooked" though, so I did nothing with them.  They broke apart easily and I could feel oil on my hands from them.  For the sauce, I combined the the oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, chicken stock (I used a half cup) and cornstarch.  I gave it a good whisk with a fork.

In my largest frying pan, I heated avocado oil over high.  I stir fried the onion until soft and translucent, then added the garlic, crushed chilies and ginger.


I mixed for a few seconds until I could smell them fragrantly and then put the chicken in.  When it was no longer pink, I mixed in the noodles and bok choy and continued to stir until bok choy was bright green.


Lastly, I dumped in the sauce and tossed ingredients until simmering.  I made sure the chicken was fully cooked and then I mixed in the green onions.  Easy peasy.


When I tasted the sauce after I made it, I was overcome with saltiness.  I was sure it would be horrible, but it really went well with these noodles and was perfect.  It worked nicely with the heat from the chilies too.  It turned out excellent.  I'll definitely make it again when craving a noodle carb load, and I'll use the correct ones too.  I'd double or triple up on bok choy next time as I thought it could have used more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment