Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Beef and Potato Curry

I only made this once a long, long time ago and I wasn't really impressed with it and I haven't thought about making again until now...  I'm not sure what it is, but I've been on a curry hunger lately.  Saw this and thought I'd check it out, making some edits to my liking.  I bookmarked the recipe for the whole wheat chapatis that was a serving suggestion with this dish.  However, I just cheated today and my son picked up some store-bought garlic naan.

  • 3 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 2 pounds "Triple A" stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped finely with seeds and stems
  • ½ teaspoon ground dried red chili pepper
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 can (400ml) organic premium coconut milk
  • 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • ¾ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
I got my enamel cast iron dutch oven out.  I debated about browning the beef, but decided not to this time as I was under the weather and just wanted to complete the task.  I just wanted to get dinner in the oven which I preheated to 300°F.  


I heated the oil over medium high heat and stir fried the onions, ginger, jalapeno and garlic.  I stirred in all the spices.  I put the beef (which I blotted dry with paper towels first) in, and mixed for a couple of minutes.  I seasoned with S&P.  I put the liquids in and the potatoes.


I stirred one more time and put the lid on.  I put this in the oven for 3 hours.  After 2 hours I took the lid off as there seemed to be more liquid than I would have liked.


An hour later the consistency was good.  I served and garnished with cilantro.


This was very tasty, noticeable spicy heat, spot-on curry taste with good ginger notes.  Finally, the beef was tender and so were the taters.

No comments:

Post a Comment