Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Turkey Pumpkin Chili

I saw this on Social Media and it was appealing to me, so I made it.  The pumpkin was what I liked about it and it seemed different.  Plus, I was in the mood for chili.  What I used (tailored to my liking):

  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced with innards and seeds 
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 3/4 lb of white mushrooms, sliced
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 pound extra lean ground turkey 
  • One 19-ounce can white navy beans, drained and rinsed well
  • One 28-ounce can organic no salt diced tomatoes with liquid
  • ¼ cup tomato paste, no salt added
  • One 14-ounce can pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder (I mixed ancho, guajillo and pasilla)
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper 
  • 142 grams baby spinach leaves
  • 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
  • Light sour cream, for garnish 
  • Handful of cilantro, chopped and for garnish
  • Handful of 2 year aged cheddar, grated for garnish
  • Handful of "Scoops" tortilla chips
I sauteed the onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms and jalapeno until soft.  (As always, I show the "before" picture as it's too steamy to show the "after".  Haha...never mind...


I added the turkey and continued mixing until it was cooked.  I stirred in the tomato paste and cooked it out.  Then I dumped all the rest of the ingredients except the spinach and garnishes.  Well, I did put some of the cilantro in and saved the rest for garnish.



I simmered for an hour and then mixed the spinach in.  I served.  Below is garnish by garnish.





We enjoyed this.  You could taste the pumpkin and cinnamon but it didn't overpower.  It wasn't as spicy as I would have liked, but I used some "Cholula" hot sauce to give a little more zip.  It felt healthy and it solved the chili fix I was craving.  The "Scoops" gave some crunch and was nice for texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment