Sunday, November 11, 2018

Butter Chicken?

I put the question mark since I doubt it's true butter chicken.  This was a "whip up something with that chicken in your fridge" tonight kind of a dish...so I did this on the fly.  What I had was boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  I was going to make Chicken Paprikash at first thought, but I didn't have the noodles.  I had basmati rice, so decided on this.  What I used:

  • 2 &1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 398 ml organic coconut milk
  • 398 ml low salt organic tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala 
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Indian chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 inch nub of ginger, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (had to use it since it is "butter" chicken)
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Fresh Italian parsley (I thought I had cilantro but didn't  ☹.  Parsley is totally underrated, so at least I had that!) , chopped finely to taste, added at end and for garnish
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of flour and equal butter mixed together
I started by sauteing the onion, ginger and garlic in the butter and oil.  


When soft and just starting to caramelize, I added the spices.  


I mixed until fragrant and then added the chicken.  


I had dried the chicken with paper towels and seasoned with S&P.  I stir-fried until white and then added in the coconut milk and tomatoes.  


I brought a boil and then a simmer.  


I covered and simmered until cooked which was about a half hour and then uncovered 20 more minutes to reduce liquid.  At that time, I mashed some butter and flour together and then mixed it in to make it thicker.  


I threw in a handful of parsley, stirred and served over the rice.  


Yum.  Maybe not authentic, maybe not close to Indian recipes, but it was fine by both of us!  Before I had plated my own, I heard a "Mmmm, wow!", so I knew it must have been okay.  Pleasantly surprised and probably way less than half the sodium of ordering it out to come in...  The chicken was melt in the mouth tender as well and no dairy was a bonus...Spice was perfect.  This was a pleasant surprise for something thrown together last minute...the "food gods" reigned down on me tonight...


No comments:

Post a Comment